It never ceases to amaze me how some people choose to live. Here are a few pictures from a home I purchased this summer:
I bought this ugly home for a few hundred dollars this past June as an investment. I renovated the home and turned it into a new monthly income stream. It’s a completely different place today.
Every time I see a home with deplorable living conditions, I ask myself the same question…. how do people live like this????
We have the ability to create whatever living conditions we want in life. Why would someone allow this standard of living for themselves? I think about this a lot, because it really illustrates something very important, our beliefs.
What does someone have to believe to live in such horrible living conditions?
Stop and think about this for a minute. It IS important.
I don’t know exactly what this particular family actually believes, but here are a few guesses…
1. Money is limited and scarce resource.
2. Cleaning my home is hard and not worth the effort.
3. I can’t afford to improve my home.
4. What’s the use in fixing up this place?
5. I can’t afford any improvements to my home.
6. The world isn’t fair. The government should do for me.
7. I can’t get a better paying job.
8. I can’t make more money.
9. My living situation is so-and-so’s fault.
10. I can’t change. I’m stuck. I’ll live this way forever.
The homes surrounding this particular home are nice.
I don’t understand how someone can see a nice home next door and live in a home like this? They can see what is possible, but don’t do anything to make their home any better. I asked a friend about this and he said, “They just don’t care.” This may be true, but I honestly think people live like this because of their internal belief systems.
If this particular family had a different belief system, they could easily improve their living conditions. Instead, they live in a prison of their own making. I heard from several neighbors that his home was very nice when they moved in. They simply allowed their home to turn into a junk yard.
Now, let’s switch gears. Look at this home:
What does the person living in this home have to believe to live there? It’s interesting to think about, isn’t it? My guess is this family would have beliefs that were the exact opposite of the family living in the junk yard. This family would believe:
1. Money is unlimited. There is no scarcity.
2. Making my home a paradise is well worth the time, money and effort.
3. I can afford to make my home beautiful. I want to enjoy every aspect of my home.
4. If there is something I don’t like in my home, I’ll improve it.
5. I have plenty of money. I can create all the money I want.
6. The world is awesome with endless opportunities.
7. I am 100% responsible for everything in my life.
8. I can change. I can improve. I can get better.
I wonder what would happen if these two families switched homes for a year. What would each home look like at the end of twelve months?
What do you think would happen?
Leave a Reply